Top 5 Best Bagged or Bagless Vacuum Cleaner | 2018 Reviews
The bag vs bagless war is on!
There is no doubt that both methods of disposing of debris and dirt are quite beneficial in their own right but which one is the perfect canister vac for your home?
In this article, we will explore how to easily select the best bagged or bagless canister vacuum for your needs. We won’t champion one or the other but merely outline the pros and cons of each and allow you to decide which best fits your requirements.
Also, except for the main difference between these two types of vacuums, you'll also learn other important factors to consider before buying - whether you need a vacuum to clean your hardwood floors, or a vacuum for a shag carpet, and which vacuum is more suitable for your specific needs
Bagged or Bagless - Which is Best?
If you strip away all the different vacuums on the market, at the core there are just two main types: bagless and bagged.
While both of these vacuum cleaners have similar abilities when it comes to sucking debris and dirt from the floor, the aspect that differentiates them is the method of disposal.
Related: Best Vacuum Cleaner Under $100
Best Bagged Vacuum Cleaner Comparison Chart:
Hoover CH30000 Vacuum
20.9 x 7.8 x 12.5 inches
Bissell 1161 Vacuum
10.7 x 13.2 x 8.7
Oreck U2000R-1 Vacuum
34.5 x 13.2 x 5.5 inches
Top Rated Bagged Dustbusters Reviews
Quality makes all the difference when it comes to durability, power, speed. That's where this list of best bagged vacuums comes in.
BEST LOW PRICED
Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Canister Vacuum
Why it’s great: Hoover CH30000 is a great find that readers love for its versatile features and high maneuverability.
The Hoover CH30000 has a 33′ long power cord which you can extend over long distances as well as several attachments.
If you are not fussy about cleaning and mostly just use your vacuum cleaner for a quick blast, a cheap model like the Hoover CH30000 is perfect for you.
- 33' long power cord
- Built in blower
- Hose stretches for extended reach
- Reusable commercial cloth bag with paper option
- Compact design and lightweight
This is a fairly inexpensive commercial vacuum cleaner with various handy tools, powerful suction and reusable bags. The Hoover CH3000 canister cleaner is tailor-made for companies and businesses that need to make vacuuming a breeze with the ability to reach places that are difficult to clean with standard vacuums. The Hoover is a smart way to solve this problem on a budget.
BEST FOR FLOORS
Bissell 1161 Hard Floor Canister Vacuum
Why it’s great: Nailing the best bagged canister vacuum for hardwood floors can be tricky. So, if you want to make your home germ and bacteria free, you need to start with the top rated canister vacuum.
The hard floor tool can be used to clean both your floors and carpets.
The Bissell 1161 has fingertip controls that allow you to power the vacuum and control the suction when cleaning surfaces like upholstery.
The non-marking wheels are made of rubber with felt treads that don’t scuff, scratch or mark hard floors. If you want a great vacuum for carpet and hardwood floors for everyday use, the Bissell is easy to handle and the controls are very simple to use.
- Compact and lightweight
- Non marking rubber wheels with felt treads
- Adjustable digital suction control
- Easy empty dirt tank
- Hard floor tool
- Adjustable telescopic wand for extended reach
- Specialized hard floor perfermance
This best selling bagged canister vacuum cleaner not only has a beautiful design but is also powerful enough to clean all your surfaces delicately. Due to its non-marking rubber wheels, digital fingertip control, easy to empty tank and extended reach, the Bissell 1161 is the best bagged vacuum cleaner for residential users in 2016.
Oreck Commercial U2000R-1 Upright Vacuum
Why it’s great: It’s a vacuum cleaner with a 40′ power cord and a very lightweight, attractive design.
Reviewers also find the Oreck commercial vacuum cleaner is a master of taming all floor types and carpets. It has a powerful balanced brush roll that whirls at 6500 RPM and takes debris toward the vacuum inlet for cleaning. The vacuum has a 12″ cleaning path which is 48″ high and has a capacity of 630 cubic inches.
Many users call this product “perfection in an appliance. If you’re looking for a quality, high-end commercial upright vacuum cleaner, this is it.
- Powerful and easy to use carry handle
- Disposable top fill inner bag
- High Speed Roller Brush
- Multi-Floor Cleaning with Microsweep technology
- Side Edge Brushes
- 40 foot detachable cord
This is by far the best bagged upright vacuum cleaner for commercial users. The Oreck Commercial features a 12” cleaning path and has a capacity of 630 cubic inches for quick and complete cleaning. Though it is slightly expensive, if you're going to get a lot of use from it, it's definitely an investment buy.
To give you a better idea on what is the best cheap dustbuster in the market, I will highlight both the pros and cons of each type of cleaning device.
Pros of Bagged Vacuum Cleaners
Bagged vacuum cleaners have been around for quite some time. Typically, the bag fits in a section around the canister, and it can be easily removed once it is full.
In terms of benefits, best bagged vacuum cleaners are:
- Most hygienic option: The dirt and debris is contained in a sealed bag. Disposing of the bag does not affect the environment inside your home , thanks to modern technologies, the allergens are prevented from getting back into the atmosphere. Bagged vacuum cleaners are recommended for allergy sufferers and benefit from HEPA filtering. Overall, they are a safer option than bagless cleaners.
- Require less maintenance: For the most part, bagged vacuum cleaners can hold up to two pounds of debris, so they don’t need to be cleaned that often. Also, due to the fact that the filter is built right into the bag, it can be easily replaced when needed.
Cons of Bagged Vacuum Cleaners
Despite the fact that bagged cleaners have many health benefits and are the recommended choice of doctors, they lack the performance and reliability of bagless cleaners. Here are the two main disadvantages of a bagged vacuum cleaner:
- Decrease in performance: The vacuum cleaner will perform proportionally to the amount of dust and debris in the bag. The fuller the bag, the harder it will be able to tackle the remaining dirt. Empty it when it’s only three-quarters full.
- Buying bags becomes quite a daunting task: You have to replace the bags frequently. That alone can take you out of your comfort zone, especially if you have two or more vacuum cleaners with different bag sizes. Moreover, if you have an older model, a common issue you may encounter is finding replacement bags for your model.
Bagged vacuum cleaners are just perfect for you if you:
- Suffer from allergies
- Want a clean environment in your house
- You don’t want to spend as much time on maintenance
- Prefer HEPA filtration system
- Not interested to try something new
- You are not willing to pay a high upfront price
Best Bagless Vacuum Cleaner Comparison Chart:
11.4 x 11.8 x 45.5
16 x 12 x 44
Electrolux EL4335A Corded Canister Vacuum
13 x 11.5 x 20
Top 3 Best Bagless Canister Vacuums Reviews:
Shark Navigator Deluxe (NV42)
Why it’s great: From the moment we first heard about this vacuum, we were hooked. The Shark Navigator Deluxe offers powerful and versatile Never Loses Suction technology. It’s affordable and easy to maneuver.
Perhaps the most important factor is that it has a large-capacity, easy-to-empty dust cup.
What really impressed us was the brushroll shutoff for deep carpet, gentle bare floor cleaning alongside the premium pet tools.
Overall, the performance is fantastic. If you want a good and reliable vacuum that can bear the worst of the worst, we will recommend this one.
- Versatile and portable
- Swivel steering and excellent control for manuevering
- Never Loses Suction Technology
- Premium Pet Tools
- 25' Power Cord and large capacity
- power and compact design
This is an exceptional bagless cleaner that benefits of the latest advancements in technology with Never Loses Suction power. The Shark Navigator is lightweight, easily maneuverable and very simple to use. To top it all, it can remove pet hair with ease. All in all, if you are searching for the best Shark vacuum, this vacuum is definitely a home run.
BEST ALL_AROUND VACUUM
Hoover UH70120 Corded Upright Vacuum
Why it’s great: The Hoover vacuum offers the best-in-class cleaning for both carpets and hard wood floors. Consequently, it uses exclusive wind tunnel technology to remove surface debris and deeply embedded dirt. It’s very lightweight and comfortable to use with fantastic cleaning power.
The system check indicator shows clearly when the HEPA filter needs to be cleaned or checked.
Another small but significant feature is the retractable cord which is efficient and quiet. This is the best upright vacuum cleaner for the money if you are looking for great value in a lightweight, bagless vacuum.
- Light and easy-to-use
- Exclusive wind tunnel technology
- 5 position carpet height adjustment
- Cord Rewind for 25 Foot Cord
- 8 foot stretch hose
- System check indication for HEPA filter
This is a very affordable bagless vacuum cleaner that offers the best all-round value. Weighing only 16.5 pounds and equipped with wind tunnel technology for exceptional suction, the Hoover cleaner is a must-have for residential users.
BEST MONEY CAN BUY
Electrolux EL4335A Corded Canister Vacuum
Why it’s great: Vacuums are more than just a functional device in today’s world. As such, it is worth investing in a great cleaner. Not all vacuum cleaners are made equal, though. You can spend a lot of money on something that boasts great power and versatile features.
The Electrolux EL4335A vacuum is not cheap, but pound for pound, the vacuum has excellent build quality and superior performance. On top of that this Electrolux canister vacuum is super lightweight, weighing in at only 11.6 pounds. It’s simple to store with horizontal or vertical parking options.
Versatile attachments like a crevice tool, dusting brush, upholstery nozzle and bare floor nozzle really help you to get a sparkling clean.
The vacuum has a premium HEPA filtration system which captures 99.97% of dust, germs, allergens, and other irritants in the home. The filter is washable and reusable. This reduces long-term costs significantly.
In conclusion, this is a financial investment but one that will serve you for many years.
- Brush roll clean technology
- Adjustable suction power
- 3-level height adjustment
- Premium HEPA filtration
- Motion control system large rear wheels
- Patented self-cleaning brushroll
Pay more, save even more and get a top rated Electrolux canister vacuum. If you are looking for versatility, power and performance in a canister vacuum, you can't go wrong with the Electrolux EL4335A. Even if you have to stretch your original budget a tad, the Electrolux canister vacuum is worth every penny.
Pros of Bagless Vacuum Cleaners
Bagless canister vacuum cleaners are newer on the market, being considered an innovation of the 21st century. Here are some of their advantages over the old types of cleaners:
- Easier to use: Thanks to the view-through chambers, you can see exactly when the device needs to be emptied. Moreover, you can see at a glance if the vacuum cleaner is working properly and if it needs some tune-up in order to work at its maximum potential. In addition, bagless cleaners are specially made for both ease of use and ease of cleaning.
- Less expensive: Once you have purchased one of these devices, it becomes much less expensive to use and maintain over time. Of course, the initial outlay might seem costly, but in a few years you can save hundreds of dollars as you won’t need to purchase extra bags. The chamber belonging to a bagless model can be used for years, even decades, so by investing in one of these models you can recoup your investment quicker.
- Eco-friendly: Being made using the latest technology and according to the latest standards, bagless vacuum cleaners are extremely Eco-conscious. If you go the Eco route, bagless cleaners are just right for you.
Cons of Bagless Vacuum Cleaners
- Increased exposure to dust and allergens
- When trying to clean the vacuum cleaner, the risk of inhaling allergens and dust is higher than with bagged cleaners.
- The disposal process is more complicated. It is possible that some of the contents can be spilled right back into the air.
You should buy a bagless vacuum cleaner if you:
- Are ready for some innovation
- Are eager to try the other side of the spectrum
- Want something that is easier to use and does its job faster
- Are eco-conscious
- Want to save money in long run
Regardless of your needs, we want to ensure that you buy the best bagless or bagged canister vacuum for your home or business.
In order to make your home 100% dust and allergy free, choose the top rated canister vacuum cleaner out of the hundreds of models available online.
We hope this buying guide and the subsequent reviews makes your decision easier.
Get in touch if you have any questions. We always value feedback so drop us a line and let us know what you think.